Thursday, May 2, 2013

5.1

Was working through a conflict with our oldest, Jacob. Whilst doing so, it came time for him to head off to school. His friend from around the corner came to our door to skate with him to school. Since I'd held them up, I offered to drive them to school. In the car, with his buddy sitting in the back, we continued to work through the conflict. I told Jacob that though conflict does not feel good, we have to move toward each other, not away. I continued that if he recognizes that he did something wrong, if he just apologizes, I want to forgive him. And then we'd be good.

This friend listened in on our conversation. What is oft an uncomfortable conversation was dealt with calmly and in the open. Without prompting, Jacob turned to me and said, "Dad, I'm sorry." I smiled and told him that I forgave him. As I grabbed his shoulder and affectionately shook him, I told him thanks for apologizing.

In an meaningful way, I think that conversation was a piece of the gospel for Jacob's friend.

I knew he was back there. And decided to risk a bit of awkwardness to let the light shine during our little drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment