Tuesday, May 28, 2013

5.28

Last Friday night we went on a double date with our neighbors, four doors down. They are a young couple with two little girls. Over the past couple years, we've slowly built a growing friendship. We like them a lot. Before I tell you about our double date, let me tell you what we do to begin these relationships.

I'm neither an extrovert nor a gregarious, people person. Those of you who know me, know this. What God has done is he has drastically changed the way I view people and relationship. This thing he's done has made me better at making friends.

First thing he did was convince me that his interest in people is enough for me to be interested in people. His interest is not casual, not "ho hum". No. His heart burns white hot for people. They consume him. And so when I talk to him, I can't ignore what he sees. It's difficult for me to tell him I love him without taking an interest in the thing he loves most.

The second thing he did was convince me that relationships, for me, a renewed, redeemed child of his does not have to be for me. It is not a resource I need. And so I do not have to look for people I like, or can help me, or add to my existence. No. I am now to look at relationship as a place to pour the endless fountain that flows out of me.

This change got us introducing ourselves. Talking sports, food. Offering help. Having them over, going over ... all the way to going on a double date. Really, this is evangelism? Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment