Thursday, August 1, 2013

8.1

Took Jacob out for a surf this morning for his birthday. One of his friends came along. Over the past year or so, I've been taking some of Jacob's friends surfing. There are about four or five boys who routinely go with us. The kid who went this morning is the most dedicated. He happens to also be on Jacob's water polo team - both club and High School. In the past year of countless hours on the pool deck, we've begun to build a friendship with this kids' parents too. They are great people - humble, considerate, kind.

With the potential for a long term friendship for all of us, I'm looking forward to what God will do with the ties he is building.

Taking thirteen, fourteen year olds surfing is not my ideal for "going for a surf." Gotta go pick them up, round them up. Some of them don't know what they're doing. It's hectic. I've grown accustomed to surf being my place, a getaway.

I may have said this before, but it bears repeating. It's not the great sacrifices that keep us from getting involved with people, it's the minor impositions. Not the sword we fear, but the paper cuts. I'm learning that imposition is the pathway to relationship. Friendship. Fellowship. Community.

I've let my son impose on my surf. Because of Christ, I've let him and his friends disrupt my peace. And this morning, I had such a great time sharing waves, conversation, laughs with the boys.


No comments:

Post a Comment