Thursday, July 25, 2013

7.24

I am discipling a cousin. It started with re-connecting, couple BBQs, and inviting him to our fantasy football league. This spanned four or five years - mostly sporadic until fantasy football. While watching football one evening, I asked him if he'd be interested in getting together more regularly to talk about his faith. He said, "yes."

Last couple times we got together, we talked about fellowship. He does not have a Christian friend. At the moment, he is not very interested to going to church. I'm not convinced enough that I am going to say to him, "You have to go to church, man." So, we've talked about his people. There's a handful of people who make up his "family," his "tribe."

Okay, so if these people are going to eventually be, to a degree, your "christian community" you'd better get started. (Laughter and agreement)
A good start is to begin praying for each of these people. Begin with the inner circle. If right now, you can only manage 2 or 3, great.
The other thing you want to do is you'll have to change the narrative. This will take some doing and a good deal of time. You and your friends have a story. Chapters have been written; a narrative established. God has not had a part in your story. The story has to shift. It begins with him entering the plot.
How? Not sure. He's writing it, so you should ask him. I think it will involve a couple things: An identification with Christ and obedience.

No comments:

Post a Comment